Review: CLAP WHEN YOU LAND by Elizabeth Acevedo


There's not many author that I would say I am a huge fan of but I'm defo a massive fan of Elizabeth Acevedo. I love how easy her books are to read, that it's written in verse and just full of so much culture. I reached out to my amazing Kate at Bonnier Books and she sent me the proof of Clap When You Land. 








Themes: Family, secrets, grief 

Age: 14+

Clap When You Land is about two sisters called Camino and Yahaira. Camino live in the Dominican Republic with her aunt and Yahaira lives in New York with her mother. They have the same father who travels back and forth but he dies in a plane accident. The sisters know nothing of each other. 

I thought With The Fire On High was my fav Acevedo book but this one tops it. I loved the split narrative of the girls showing where they come from and their family dynamics especially with their father. The description of DR was so vivid. I could really see myself there. I loved how Camino was struggling with being stalked by El Cero and she is still so bold and feisty towards him despite her fear. There is something so powerful in reading that. 

Yahaira is gay and I don't even know of a book that I've read where the black girl was gay. I really like that it wasn't a big deal. Her being gay wasn't the focus of the story. 







I was just rooting for the sisters to meet and unite and I think the dynamics of them meeting was written so well. I absolutely devoured this book and that doesn't happen often. I couldn't recommend it enough. Plus how pretty is the cover?

Overall this is a must read! I can't wait for the next Acevedo book. Hot Keys hook me up!

5/5

Grab a copy of the book 

Follow me @carebearreads

Comments