REVIEW: Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi

I have heard mixed reviews about book 2 of The Children of Blood and Bone series. I couldn't think why seeing as book 1 was so popular so I decided to give it a read. I'm going to ask the people who didn't like the book what it was exactly that turned them off.  I wouldn't say I was turned off but more a little confused.





Themes: Fantasy, magic, war

Age: 14+

Children of Virtue and Vengeance is book 2 in the series and carries on from where book 1 ends. Zélie, Amari and Tzain are plotting how to overthrow the monarchy so that everyone and their magic can finally be free. Amari wants to be the new Queen and Zélie wants to kill Inan for betraying her but when magic is also flowing on the monarchy's team, it makes their battle a lot harder.

Ideally I would suggest re-reading book 1 before you read this. To be honest I couldn't remember loads of what had happened and at times I was a bit confused. There are so many characters in the book and I did find myself losing track of who was who.

I did like the storyline. Fantasy books always end in a war and I enjoyed seeing the challenges that they all faced and how it fractured all their relationships. I really liked Zélie in book 1 but I didn't find her very likeable in this book. Also Amari's switch threw me as well and as the two lead girls, I didn't really know who to root for as they were both acting up.


I liked Inan's journey and his turmoil of not being the King that his father was and just trying to do better but still being caught up in the worst situations. I loved that he still cared for  Zélie and wanted to protect her. My favourite charter is actually Roën! I liked his cheeky, ruthless attitude but then we see his vulnerable side and I was really rooting for him in the book. I wish Tzain had a bit more too him and I feel like they're should have been a scene where he really went for Amari when he realised what she had done.

Overall I jut love that this book is set in Nigeria and proudly shows off Yoruba and it's just full of black people, which I need to see more of in books but I did need a heroine to cheer for.

3/5

Make sure you grab a copy of the book

Follow me on Instagram @carebearreads

Comments